Saturday, April 25, 2020

Why this volatility isn't unprecedented

I have heard comments from veteran technical analysts who have become bewildered by the market's action. The word "unprecedented" is often used.

I beg to differ. The violence of the sell-off, and subsequent rebound is not an unprecedented event. Recall the NASDAQ top of 2000. The NASDAQ 100 fell -39.8% from its March 2000 high, and rebounded 40.1% to its 61.8% Fibonacci retracement level in just four months. The index proceeded to lose -49.7% in that year, and ultimately -80.8% at the 2002 bottom, all from the July reaction high.



I am not implying that the NASDAQ pattern in 2000 represents any market analog to today's action. Barring some other unforeseen catastrophe, such as the Big One taking down California and decimating Silicon Valley, the market is not going to fall -80% from the reaction high.

In the past, I outlined my concerns about the stock market (see The 4 reasons why the market hasn't seen its final lows). This week, I register additional concerns, mainly from a technical analysis perspective.

The full post can be found here.

No comments: