Monday, December 15, 2014

No guarantees, but...

I have been writing Humble Student of the Markets for a little over seven years. I have used this blog to voice my own thoughts and I have asked nothing in return from my readers, except for their comments. There is, however, one way that you can show your appreciation for my writing.

During this holiday season, I would like to launch my personal appeal for support of the Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra, to which I am a volunteer board member. I have kept my writing free since I started this blog. If you have found my work to be valuable, please show your appreciation by donating to this worthy cause by clicking here.

I have long believed that one of the ways to nurture youth is to give them a focus in their lives, whether it be music, sports or other pursuits. This is especially critical during their adolescent years as they start to form their own identities. It's one of the key reasons why I became involved with the Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra Society. Participation in a VYSO orchestra teaches young musicians to focus on both their individual musical and orchestral skills. The latter is particularly important as many people can learn to play music, but a different skill is required when the conductor points to a section and have them all play the same sound at the same time. It's much like the difference between learning to walk and learning to march in formation.

The Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra Society is a registered charity and tax receipts are available to contributors who are Canadian residents.

They say that there are no guarantees in life or investing, but there is one guarantee that if you participate in this offer, you'll feel better about yourself.



Thank you for your support and my best wishes for everyone for this festive season.

1 comment:

eah said...

You have an interesting and useful blog, so I made a donation. Thanks for your efforts, even if I find the markets enormously challenging and frustrating, especially recently.